It’s a well known fact that breastmilk is an elixir … Amrutha to all babies.
Breast milk is beneficial not only to babies but also to mother and family and usage of breast milk decreases the carbon footprint and there by help in reducing the environment pollution.
As saying goes on….
“Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day. The reality is that almost all women can breastfeed, have enough milk for their babies and learn how to overcome problems both large and small. It is almost always simply a matter of practical knowledge and not a question of good luck”.
-La Leche League
So to recognise the issues in breastfeeding and to help mother's we need a team of specialists who understand each mother and accordingly help them.
The training has to start from antenatal period and continue till baby is 2 years.
So we have started the process with these baby steps at Rangadore Hospital.
Lactation clinic is run by Dr. Nagalatha Chidananda, MBBS,DNB (Pediatrics), IYCF specialist (Infant and young child specialist), IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant)
About Dr. Nagalatha:
She is a pediatrician with 15 years of experience. She specializes in infant and young child feeding issues and a passionate lactation consultant, She is into lactation practice since 8 years. Was running lactation clinic at St. Martha s hospital.
Services provided at Lactation clinic at Rangadore hospital.
Antenatal Classes – group classes (both online and offline)
Preparing the expectant mother for breastfeeding and make her confident and knowledgeable. It is a 45-60 minutes interactive session with illustrative presentation and informative videos which will cover,
- Benefits of breast milk to baby, mother and family.
- Importance of early skin to skin contact and kangaroo mother care.
- Importance of early and frequent nursing in 0-3 days of life
- Different breastfeeding positions
- How to attain good latch
- Common issues during breastfeeding
- Hand expression of breastmilk and its importance
- In case of sick mother and baby, alternative techniques to feed mothers milk.
Post natal Consultation(group and individual)
- Interactive classes which helps the new mother clear her doubts, which will cover the following :
- Practical demonstration of various feeding positions and how to attain good latch.
- Direct observation of breastfeeding session and recommend any change if required.
- Demonstration and observation of techniques of hand expression of milk.
- Special classes for NICU mothers
- Demonstration on how to do Kangaroo Mother care in case of pre-term.
- How to maintain and build up supply if baby is in NICU.
- Various feeding techniques in a preterm baby.
Apart from these classes there is regular special OPD consultation for mothers having various breastfeeding issues on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Any mothers with the following issues can come for consultation –(early breastfeeding challenges, increase milk production, nipple pain , nipple crack , engorgement, oversupply, mastitis, nipple pore, feeding twins and feeding with tongue tie or cleft lip/palate, breast milk rejection, relactation, feeding in working mother).